20 Proven Eucalyptus Benefits for Lungs Health
The eucalyptus is a diverse genus of trees that belong to the myrtle family, Myrtaceae. There are more than 700 species of trees and shrubs, with a majority of them native to Australia and to a lesser extent Indonesia, the Philippines as well as Papua New Guinea. Out of 700 species, only 15 species can be found outside Australia, with 9 of them being exclusively non-Australian species.
Today eucalypti are cultivated in various regions across the world with a similar climate to Australia’s such as the Americas, Mediterranean Europe, Africa, the Middle East, as well as the Indian subcontinent. Eucalyptus products have found uses for various needs, ranging from industrial, and medical, to cultural uses. These are the 15 health benefits of this essential oil.
Eucalyptus oil is essentially oil that is extracted from the eucalyptus plant. It is known to be an antiseptic and deodorizing substance, and also an effective insect repellent. Eucalyptus oils are also found in several commercial products ranging from decongestants, toothpaste, cough medicines, muscular ointments, and also insect repellent lotions.
About Eucalyptus Oil
How does Eucalyptus Take Care of the Lungs?
Here are the benefits of Eucalyptus for lungs health:
- It is an Expectorant The first benefit of eucalyptus for the lungs is by being an expectorant. An expectorant is a medicine that helps to bring up mucus and other foreign materials from the lungs, bronchi as well as trachea. It works as an expectorant by cleansing and draining mucus from the lungs, thinning the mucus, to be followed by lubricating the affected area of the respiratory tract. Meanwhile, eucalypti are expectorants due to cineole, an active natural ingredient found within their leaves.
- It Contains Antioxidants Eucalyptus products are rich in antioxidants which make them very effective for strengthening the immune system. A 2012 article has it that Chinese researchers analyzed the oils and came up with the conclusion that they carry high reserves of phenolic compounds, which are none other than plant-based antioxidants. In the long run, diseases such as colds, flu, coughs, and other respiratory illnesses can be prevented at best.
- It Is an Anti-Irritant Eucalyptus oils are anti-irritant. In relation to this, they also possess the ability to reduce swelling and redness, just like what happens to the throat as you get cold. Researchers belonging to The Department of Physiology of Spain’s University of Santiago de Compostela School of Medicine verdict that this turns out possible due to eucalyptus oil’s ability to inhibit the production of nitric oxide.
- They Have Decongestant Properties Decongestant is a medical term that means that something is used to relieve nasal congestion. Decongestants work by narrowing down the blood vessels in the nose, decreasing swelling and inflammation, hence allowing air to flow through and mucus to liquify and drain. Eucalyptus is an example of a natural decongestant, and normally it comes in the form of lozenges and syrups.
- Treats Various Respiratory Diseases The traits above make it a wonderful remedy for treating a wide range of respiratory diseases. Eucalyptus can heal a simple cold, symptoms of flu, cough, symptoms of asthma, or even more serious respiratory diseases such as bronchitis, pneumonia, tuberculosis and sinusitis.
- Gets Rid of Harmful Microorganisms Eucalyptus oil can get rid of numerous harmful microorganisms, such as bacteria, viruses, as well as fungi. This ability is a basic potential that respiratory medicines must possess.
- An Effective Source of Aromatherapy Without having to experience respiratory diseases, the final benefit of eucalyptus for the lungs is that it already promotes a healthy respiratory system because it is aromatherapy in its own right. The refreshingly fragrant scent of it relaxes the lungs, the mind, and the other senses. Not to mention that the vapors are also antiseptic to ensure that the air you are breathing is of utmost clean.
What are the Other Uses?
Apart from the benefits of eucalyptus for the lungs, it has also found other functions, such as these;
1. As a Wound Treatment Eucalyptus is an excellent choice for treating wounds due to its antimicrobial and antiseptic nature. It soothes the affected area and guards the infected area against further infections caused by air exposure and microbial activities.
2. Prevents Mental Exhaustion People who suffer from certain neurological conditions and disorders don’t have the brains to work optimally. Eucalyptus oil works as a stimulant to enhance brain performance, treats the health risks of stress, and cheers us up.
3. Heals Muscular Pain Eucalyptus’ anti-inflammatory trait is also useful to treat muscular and joint pains or aches.
4. Upholds Oral Care Eucalyptus also turns out to be a common ingredient in various oral care products, such as toothpaste and mouthwashes due to its germicidal properties. In the end, you don’t have to worry about cavities and plaque.
5. Cures Fever Eucalyptus oil does a great job in treating fever and reducing body temperature. No wonder why this special oil is also referred to as the “fever oil”.
Click here to view original web page at drhealthbenefits.com